Wednesday, September 2, 2015

IWSG Wednesday

www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com
The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.
Triumphs is an exaggeration, though, this book was like a foster child who almost had a home on several different occasions, and for one reason or another, continued to be bounced from pillar to post. At one publishing company, the editors didn't want it but the publisher did. That didn't sound doable to me. At another: the editor/director of the line wanted it, but the publishing company didn't. Another publishing company and their editor wanted it, but their contract made me very....nervous. Finally, Ghost For Sale wound up living in the Kensington household. It's scheduled for release the twenty-ninth of this month. 
Blurb:
Caitlin King can’t believe that her shopaholic cousin actually bought two ghosts off of eBay. But she can’t ignore the truth when she starts seeing sexy Liam O’Reilly, who’s been dead for over a hundred years. He’s a fascinating specter, and the more time Caitlin spends with him, the closer they become—sending them both spiraling into a star-crossed tailspin. No matter how desperately they long for each other, there’s just no future with a guy who’s already stopped breathing.

In order to help Liam and his twin sister, Anna, leave their earthly limbo and cross over into the light, Caitlin must find the ghost of Anna’s fiancé. But a malevolent spirit is dead set against Anna moving on. Now Caitlin will have to unravel the mystery surrounding the twins’ past lives in order to keep Liam’s spirit safe—even if it means sacrificing her heart in the process. 

Excerpt:

As we reached the car, my breath went out in a whoosh. Arms and legs crossed, Liam leaned against the shiny Corvette. The street lamp limned his high sharp cheekbones and sparked the blue highlights in his hair. Plain black cotton trousers framed long legs. My heart tightened and my bones loosened. He was just so darn pretty, in a manly-man sort of way.
His stormy eyes shifted to me. He stared, unsmiling.
The ghost was still in a snit. Well fine, I was in a bit of a snit myself.
We drove home in silence. I glanced in the rearview mirror. Liam stared straight ahead, his arms crossed, pensive. At least he wasn’t white knuckling the side of the car. How strange this must seem to him.
I surfed the satellite radio till I found a channel that played old Irish ballads.
A beatific expression came over his face, making my breath catch. How could a man be so good-looking? Maybe it was a ghost thing. His expression changed to one of abject terror. “Watch out,” he shouted at the top of his lungs.
I turned the wheel sharply to the right, just missing a little old lady driving a bright red sports car. She laid on her horn and stuck her third digit out the window.
Liam stared, his gorgeous mouth open. I think a senior citizen giving me the finger shocked him worse than my driving.

Warning: Contains ghosts and shopaholics

If you are willing to host me on your blog between Sept 29 and Oct 31, please shoot me an email @ sandracox1.gmail.com
If you can support me on Thunderclap: http://thndr.it/1KyBwXe
Thanks so much. 




25 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

Excellent read Sandra,
Yvonne.

DEZMOND said...

such delight, you must be excited!

Elephant's Child said...

Congratulations. You must be thrilled. And, If I could pick up a ghost or two ebay might even tempt my shopping resistance self.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What a frustrating journey. But it will have a happy ending.
Will sign up for the Thunderclap and you are always welcome to visit my blog.

Musings of a Creative Writer said...

Congratulations, Sandra! That is so exciting! Once I have some more money flowing in, I'll buy a copy.

Pat Hatt said...

Sounds like one pain in the butt journey, but it found its way to the correct spot.

Cherie Reich said...

Some works take a more arduous journey than others. Congrats on the upcoming release!

Sherry Ellis said...

Sounds like a terrific book!

Chrys Fey said...

You were a lot closer than I ever have been. I've never had a publisher or editor express interest in the books I am querying to agents. But I'm thrilled yours found a home. Yay! And it sounds awesome!

Sharon Himsl said...

Definitely frustrating, but exciting so many wanted it. Congrats! Excerpt was enjoyable to read :)

Crystal Collier said...

What a fun concept! Love it. Shoot me an email and I'll get you scheduled for a Writerly Wednesday...though I'm not sure what dates I have available right now. crystal AT crystal-collier DOT com

Sandra Cox said...

Thank you, Yvonne. I appreciate that!

Sandra Cox said...

Cautiously:) I'm pretty attached to these characters.

Sandra Cox said...

Heh heh.

Sandra Cox said...

Thank you, Alex, on all counts. Appreciate the signup for Thunderclap and the offer for blog visit.
I'm very excited about the anthology contest. Funny because I've been wanting to do an alternate universe theme for quite sometime.

Sandra Cox said...

How kind of you, Jessica Marie. That really touches me, but please do not put yourself in any kind of financially stressful situation. I can always shoot you a copy:)

Sandra Cox said...

Hi Pat:)
I hope so:)

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Cherie! Nothing is ever easy in our chosen profession, is it?

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks you, Sherry:) I appreciate that.

DMS said...

Love the cover and the excerpt Sounds very interesting. So glad the story found a good home. :)
~Jess

Sandra Cox said...

I'm shaking my head. You are such a professional. How can they not have snapped you up?
On my end....only one of those was a 'large publisher', the rest middle to small.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Sharon Marie:) Yes, at the time it was pretty frustrating.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Crystal. Appreciate ya;)

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Jess. Yours is coming out soon.......

Birgit said...

Never give up! This book sounds too good for anyone to pass up!